Well the site used to be based on B2Evo, but after using WordPress for another site, it was time to make a change. WordPress completely blows away B2Evo – no more to say.
Migrating – that isn’t so much fun though. I only had 100 or so posts, but way to much to just recreate from scratch! So here’s my story of how to migrate a simple B2Evo blog to WordPress. Searching – I couldn’t find an easy way for a simple blog to migrate!
- Firstly setup wordpress in a sub directory on your server and configure it up.
- Go onto your B2Evo Server (you’ll need to get to the database settings ie phpadmin or webmin etc.
- Export to CSV the whole database (you can filter if you know what you’re doing). Make sure you include the headers for the rows so you know what field is what!
- Open up the CSV in Excel or equiv and search on some text for a blog post you’ve made to jump to the blog content section.
- Here I just scrolled up until I reached the start of the blog section where the posts are stored and deleted everything above and then everything below the last blog post. At this stage you’re left with a load of headers + content for all your blog posts (ie date, content, category etc).
- Personally I deleted all columns apart from the date/content/post title. Then save your new .csv file.
- In WordPress install theÂ WP Ultimate CSV Importer plugin (just search for it).
- Next step is straightforward using the plugin above. Just map the csv fields to the wordpress fields and click through until you start to import.
- Check your site and make sure you’re happy with it. Then just delete your old blog/database & just copy your wordpress directory back to the root of your URL (and remember to update the settings when changing directory!!!)
It’s that simple – you’ll then have all your posts imported into wordpress. Obviously you can expand this with comments, users, categories etc.